Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Books Read in 2009

The complete list of the 31 books I read in 2009 is in the right column.  Six of the titles I listened to on CD while driving, but I do count these in my "reading" list.  My Sunday, May 3, 2009, post names the six books I started but stopped before completion this year.  No need to waste valuable time on books I don't like when there are more books to read than I'll be able to get to in my lifetime.  The book that will transition from 2009 into 2010, because I won't finish it before the stroke of midnight on December 31, is Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens.  I read it once before, long ago.  Recently I read somewhere that we never really read the same book twice because when we re-read a book we bring to it the experiences we've had since last reading it.  How about  you?  At this time of year when lists and reviews are popular, which books have you read?  Which have you put aside?  Which do you plan to re-read?  Share with me in the comments section.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm! We have read a few of the same books this year. Interestingly I purchased "Twilight" on a whim, wanting to read something different. I quickly discovered it was a teen book and set it aside. Finally picked it up again at James' urging when girl he was dating got him interested in the series and he assured me I wouldn't be disappointed - and I wasn't. Of course I found myself reading the rest of the series.

    We also both read the Guernsey Potato Peel Pie... book. I love when a story develops over a letter writing relationship. I once read a humorous antagonistic exchange between a boy and his favorite baseball player. While I can't remember the name of the book, I DO remember the mirth felt while reading it.

    I have saved only a few books over the years. While I've never re-read a book, sometimes the story within it changes you and the way you approach your world long after you put the book down so you hesitate to part with it. This year, "The Shack" was one such book. While I don't necessarily agree with the theology, I found it thought provoking and it stirred my emotions. Interestingly, the last "keeper" was "Lovely Bones". It has not excaped me the two stories have similar themes of trauma, healing, hope, and divine intervention. ... See More

    Currently, I'm still savoring (OK, I'm a really slow reader) my summer read "Beach Music" by one of my favorite authors, Pat Conroy. I've a couple of other books lined up, but the order might change if I come across something that tickles my fancy at the moment. I seldom read non fiction books except for an occasional "how to" (The Martini Book) and this year, for obvious reasons, "Boulder and Rocky Mountain National Park"

    I stopped reading a book several months ago. It was John Irving's "Until I Find You". John Irving is another favorite author, but the book did not suit my state of mind at the time. I believe I will attempt to read it again.

    ReplyDelete