Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Teens' Top 10 of 2009

In conjunction with Teen Read Week, the Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA) announced the winners of this year's voting for the top ten young adult books for 2009.

1 Paper Towns by John Green
2 Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
3 The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
4 City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
5 Identical by Ellen Hopkins
6 The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
7 Wake by Lisa McMann
8 Untamed by P.C. and Kristin Cast
9 The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart
0 Graceling by Kristin Cashore

YALSA reports that more than 11,000 readers age 12 to 18 voted online for their favorite titles of the year.  I can personally comment on three of the titles on this list.  I enjoyed Stephenie Meyer's Breaking Dawn, the fourth and final novel in the Twilight series, although I considered it the weakest of the four books.   

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman was not to my liking, and I quit reading it at about the fourth chapter.  I thought it too dark.  Not everyone agrees with me, though.  The book won the John Newbery Medal for the most outstanding contribution to children's literature.  Then again, the Newbery Medal has been loosing respect in recent years as the winners have not been as universally popular as they once were.

One of my daughter's tells me that The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is the best book she has ever read.  I plan now to read it.  I looked at it when it was first published, but it sounded too depressing for my liking.  My daughter says parts are sad; but that it is an excellent book.

What about you?  On which of these top ten can you comment?  Is there a book you would add or delete to the list?

No comments:

Post a Comment