Monday, August 31, 2009

Nancy Drew: The Secret of the Girl Detective

When I was asked if I'd be interested in being interviewed by Voice of America (VOA) for a story on the Nancy Drew Mystery series, I immediately remembered reading it as a girl, sprawled across my bedroom floor. My mother was concerned that I was reading too much, and not getting out to play with friends. Now that memory is part of an overview of the books, and what they have meant to girls since they were first published in 1930. You can read the transcript and listen to the audio stream from the Voice of America website at http://www.voanews.com/specialenglish/2009-08-23-voa2.cfm. My thanks to reporter Nancy Thompson for her excellent overview. Since the story is a feature on VOA's Special English site, the pace is slower for those who are learning English. It is interesting to read the comments posted after the transcript from people all over the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment